CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 11, 2010

I got a feeling

What is this feeling called love. The dictionary calls it a strong affection for another person. I just say it's OVER-RATED. Love. How many times have you ''fallen in love" or out of love for that matter.  Was the person not cute enough. Not sweet enough. Didn't pay you as much attention as they used to. Did your feelings just die!

I've been watching 16 and pregant on MTV and in almost every single episode, the fathers were either non-existant or simply too immature to handle a baby so typically the MOM did all the work. On the most recent episode, we meet a girl, who has sex with a guy on a rebound. A month later she finds out she's pregnant. WITH TWINS.  The guy, is no ordinary guy, because he sticks around. He survives pregancy AND delivery. He gets an apartment, sells his truck, buys a family van AND a car for the girl.  They do argue occasionally but nothing a  little couselling won't solve. He stays home at night so she can go out with her girlfriends.  The girl decides she's not in LOVE with the guy in fact she's in love with her ex-boyfriend who she broke up with before she had rebound sex.  Now here is where I simply just want to kick her in the head. Now here you've got a guy who ADMITS that yes inititally he wasn't in LOVE but now he loves his family and he wants to make things work and you've got an immature 16 year old who can only think about her exboyfriend. An exboyfriend who by the way tells her she got pregant because she made a stupid decision(and now he no longer returns her calls). So now she's sad because she's already pushed away a good guy (baby daddy who has now moved back in with his parents) and she now realises that she misses him and that you don't know what you've go till it's gone. My Jamaican sister would call her a dumb ass.

Now do we yet see why love can't just be a feeling. It's got to be more than that. It's got to be commitment. Guy committed to girl and girl committed to guy and both of them committed to making that relationship work. We obviously get problems when all we can think about is self, self, self, self, self. Now I can hear the naysayers.  ''but there's got to be some attraction'' I've got to feel SOMETHING. I agree with you there. You've got to feel something. That attraction, according to my cus is  just 10%.  When the baby's balling the house down at 2 in the morning (especially when you got twins) what makes both of you get up. Love or commitment. I say it's commitment. Cause that love is only gonna push you so far.

However, let's put another spin on this thing. I believe in the Bible (unapologetically) and it tells me a bit about love. From what I read love CANNOT just be a feeling. It's something you do or should I say something you're committed to.  Here are just a few things the B-i-b-l-e has to say about love.

  • Love cares more for others than for self. 

  • Isn't always "me first,"

  • Doesn't fly off the handle,

  • Puts up with anything,

  • Always looks for the best,

  • Trusts God always,

Weww. That's a lot. Now that one that says ''doesn't fly off the handle'' that's the one that makes me say love has to be a commitment. Most of us will fly off the handle sometimes. I know I do. For me NOT to fly off the handle that's one big commitment in and of itself.  When you really think about it though. If we treat others the way we want to be treated, love would be so easy.  Obviously though it seems that this love thing is something you've just got to WORK at and be committed. 

Moral of the story... sex is NOT for children. Wait till wunna married!

No comments:

Post a Comment